Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Party of Five

When you were born
you came quietly,
and with eyes deep as an ocean
you looked at me,
and I looked at you,
and I thought to myself,
I know you!
And my heart heard you say,
I know you!
In that moment
I knew
you were a gift
from God
and that I would love you
forever.

When you were born
your daddy
stroked your satin skin
and planted kisses
on your downy head,
your tiny nose,
your curled fist.
Your lips formedan oh of wonder
as you watched his face
smiling at you,
and Daddy's heart
was filled with wonder too.

When you were born
the…children
sat in a wiggling circle around you
and whispered loudly,
This is the cutest baby ever!
They measured your feet
with their hands
and giggled
at your itty-bitty toes
and played
This little piggy went to market...















(from When You Were Born
by Dianna Hutts Aston)